Photobucket

This is a blog about me, Ally, 44 now...trying to conceive baby #3. After 5 years, several miscarriages and heartaches we finally did it. Ava Lynn was born on January 30th 2009. Now I have two teenagers and a baby! Ally wants three is now complete. It's all gravy from here on in...

Thursday, March 23, 2006

My RE Appt

Today was my first consultation with the RE (Dr. Shenken) here in San Antonio. David came with me and I'm glad he did. First of all, I would have gotten terribly lost and I figured the doctor would like to meet with him. All in all I think it went well. This guy seems to know his stuff and has major credentials. http://www.uthscsa.edu/obgyn/faculty.html

He suggested we go another IUI route with the Clomid since that has been successful for getting pregnant. David told him about his reluctance to go another round since he didn't want to see me "bleed out" again. The doctor suggested we have some chromosomal testing done to see if David and I are compatible. It's measured in percentages so the lower the percent, the better. He's seen couples have a 25-50 percent in abnormalities and still be able to have a healthy baby. We should have the results in a couple of weeks. My major concern is sustaining a pregnancy, not really in "getting" pregnant.

As it stands now, I am CD 19 and will be taking the Clomid after AF comes (hopefully she won't) and doing the IUI on CD 14. If everything is fine with the chromosomal testing and the Clomid doesn't work for the next cycle, he opted I start taking FSH shots for the following cycle. Apparantly the effective rate is much higher than with the Clomid. You take the shots for 10 days and you get monitored every few days with U/S. Much more aggressive but I had luck with the Clomid so we will start with that.

I am trying to be real optimistic and cautious. I am trying not to get all caught up in the drama of all this fertility stuff and just go on with my normal every day life. I am telling myself not to worry about the chromosomal testing results and let what will happen, happen. Hey, it'll happen whether I'm freaked out or not so I figure why fight what I can't change.

Anyway, that's it. I will see him on again on CD 11 to monitor me for the IUI. Until then, the word pregnant is omitted from my vocabulary.

Image hosting by Photobucket

4 Comments:

At 6:38 PM, Blogger Sporty said...

Glad that you had a good appt. at the RE. His credentials do sound good. How did you like him? Is he matter of fact or does he have more of a personality than some doctors?

I am hoping that it doesn't come down to the IUI next month, but if you do...I am praying that it goes quickly and smoothly for you.

Hope to talk to you soon. Take care.

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

I am glad that you are feeling good about your doctor and being cautiously optimistic. I am sure the chromosomal testing will be fine.

Your house is beautiful - talk to you soon.

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Family Ties said...

What a cool appt. Sounds like things are progressing nicely. We won't say the P word if you won't :) Good luck!

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Jessigirl said...

I'm hoping you don't have to go through any of this. I'm glad you are seeing a good doctor. One way or another, you will be a mom again, I just know it!

Love ya,
Jess

 

Post a Comment

<< Home