Photobucket

This is a blog about me, Ally, 44 now...trying to conceive baby #3. After 5 years, several miscarriages and heartaches we finally did it. Ava Lynn was born on January 30th 2009. Now I have two teenagers and a baby! Ally wants three is now complete. It's all gravy from here on in...

Friday, June 17, 2005

My doctor appointment

I must be cursed I swear! I went to my regular doctor to show her my ankle that has been hurting for weeks. The vein around it is inflammed so I was concerned. She says I have phlebitis. Here is the explanation from the Mayo Clinic:

When a clot and associated inflammation occur in a vein, the disorder is called thrombophlebitis. Often the name is shortened to phlebitis. A minor inflammation may be called thrombosis.

Phlebitis may affect either a deep or a superficial vein. It can be caused by prolonged bed rest after an operation, paralysis, cancer or the use of the female hormone estrogen. Sometimes prolonged sitting during a long car or airplane ride will cause thrombosis of a vein.

When the clot and inflammation occur in a readily visible vein near the surface of the skin, the diagnosis is superficial thrombophlebitis. The hard, tender clot can usually be felt and seen, and the affected area feels uncomfortable. Superficial thrombophlebitis rarely leads to serious complications. Treatment consists of applying heat to the area, elevating the limb and using anti-inflammatory medications.

So, there you have it. I have to put heat on it for 6 weeks and keep my feet up whenever I'm sitting. Good news is it's not warranting surgery, bad news is it will take 6 weeks to go away.
It could always be worse.

Image hosting by Photobucket

3 Comments:

At 6:55 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Well, I am glad you are looking on the bright side.
They could have taken one look at it and said "O my God - that thing has to come off right now!!!!"

You would be a footless pea!

Take care of yourself.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Liz said...

Sorry to hear about this. Hope it heals very soon.

Take care of yourself.

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Heather P. said...

Hope you get well soon!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home